Bizarre trick used by accused smugglers

About $5 million worth of pseudoephedrine has been seized by police after the drug was hidden in more than 100 hessian sacks labelled as desiccated coconut.

Two men have been arrested and charged after a joint Australian Border Force (ABF) and NSW Police investigation into the shipment that arrived in Sydney last month.

After the suspicious consignment was intercepted and examined, officers allegedly found the 110 bags contained the drug that is commonly used to manufacture methamphetamine.

The amount of pseudoephedrine seized was enough to create 80-100kg of ice.

The pseudoephedrine was hidden in 110 hessian sacks that were labelled as desiccated coconut. Picture: Supplied

It led to the arrest of two men, aged 28 and 31, at a storage facility in Auburn at about 8.50pm on Thursday night.

As police searched the storage unit, they seized tools, electronic scales, documents and clothing.

Both men were taken to Auburn Police Station where they were charged with importing a commercial quantity border controlled precursor.

They were refused police bail and appeared in the Burwood Local Court on Friday where they were remanded in custody until their next appearance on Monday.

Two men have been arrested following the joint police investigation. Picture: Supplied
They were both charged with importing a commercial quantity border controlled precursor. Picture: Supplied

Detective Superintendent John Watson said having such a massive amount of pseudoephedrine on Australian streets could have caused “a lot of damage”.

“Our focus is combating those involved in this activity to reduce the risk of harm,” he said.

Anyone with information that could help investigators is asked to contact police.

Female cadet secretly filmed having sexCrime

Female cadet secretly filmed having sex

A female cadet was secretly filmed while having sex before it was broadcast to Skype and watched by a group of her male colleagues, a bombshell hearing has heard.


Boy, 3, hit and killed by car in Sydney

NSW Police have shut down a busy Sydney street after a three-year-old boy was struck by a car and died at the scene Friday morning.